This project was a complete global marketing relaunch in eight languages. Goals included: new tagline and core messaging throughout site; a new solutions focused go-to-market model; simplification of new offerings; and a new thought leadership framework.
Intralinks is a global technology provider of inter-enterprise content management and collaboration solutions. Its products serve the enterprise collaboration and strategic transaction markets, enablings the exchange, control, and management of information between organizations.
Perhaps the biggest challenge of this project was that the site was already in existence, yet needed a major overhaul. Because the timeline was aggressive and the existing site quite complex—the majority of the content is translated into 8 different languages—that dictated that we phase in the updates in several rounds. While that made the incremental changes more manageable, it also required a lot of careful planning to allow some legacy content and design to exist alongside the new.
Isovera seamlessly deployed a phased site redesign without disrupting legacy content and navigation. Translating content for the entire site was out of the question for the initial launch. At first, Intralinks planned to address this by displaying the new header navigation only for languages that had full translations in the new design, while displaying the legacy sidebar navigation for languages that hadn’t yet been updated. As translation work was finished for each language, we’d replace the old navigation with the new one language at a time—at least, that was the plan.
To address this issue, we leveraged the Drupal context module to allow seamlessly switching between displaying the legacy sidebar navigation and the refreshed header navigation for any given page. The navigation was controlled by a single Drupal context that used the language of the current page as a condition for which navigation should be shown, and rolling out the new navigation for a new language was as easy as checking a box.
Yet it was soon clear that displaying a different menu style when switching between languages was an unacceptably jarring user experience. Fortunately, the flexibility of the context module meant we could react in a quick, agile way; all we needed to do was update a few contextual conditions to display the new navigation site wide. In fact, in the first phase of deployment, we set up contextual conditions that allowed administrators who were building out new content to preview the new menu while hiding it from regular anonymous users. On launch day, we then simply updated a single contextual condition to display the new menu to anonymous users throughout the site.
Needless to say, the ability to react quickly to evolving requirements as development progressed was critical on countless occasions, and the Acquia Cloud platform was an integral tool for accomplishing that. At the start of the project, Acquia configured additional cloud environments that allowed us to demo new functionality to stakeholders and receive feedback as early as possible in the development process—far sooner than if we’d only had a single dev environment. It also allowed ongoing minor updates to proceed on the existing site while the refresh project was under way without any interruption.
An additional feature of Acquia Cloud that proved invaluable was pre-configured Varnish caching. The phased nature of the project required a number of major deployments, yet Intralinks wanted to keep site downtime to an absolute minimum since every second could mean significant loss of revenue. Fortunately, even when we put the site in maintenance mode during deployments, Varnish continued to serve pages of the site to anonymous users normally, thereby creating effectively zero downtime during any of our deployments.
In addition to a highly improved user experience, faster page loads, and increased ease of content management, Intralinks achieved a 22% Increase in user conversions and a 21% increase in Contact Sales form submissions.